Under Section 483 of the Occupational Health & Safety (OH&S) Regulations, “Power Line Hazards Training” states, “A person shall not operate a mobile crane, boom truck or similar equipment that has the capacity of encroaching on a power line without having first completed a safety training program on Power Line Hazards required by the commission.”
Who Should Attend?
This course is designed for operators of a Dump Truck, Semi-dump, Backhoe, Excavator, Boom Truck and Cranes. It includes Roofing, Siding and Sheet Metal Contractors, Tree Trimming Contractors, Water, Sewer, Pipeline and Communication Contractors and Painting Contractors. In addition, anyone who may come in contact with or work within 18 feet of a power line should receive the training.
Half (1/2) Day
- Discuss the need for power line hazards training
- Recognize power line structures
- Distinguish between conductors and insulators
- Identify characteristics of electricity
- Identify how electricity travels
- Discuss the effects of electricity
- Identify steps in the emergency response to contact with power lines
- Use sections of the OH&S Regulations to answer practical questions dealing with power line hazards
- Review employers’ and workers’ rights and responsibilities
Three (3) years